Wednesday, March 7, 2007

1942 Sept/Oct Axis Move

Prior to the turn the Allied player commented that the Germany army in the South was a good size but that I would have to choose between objectives in the South or North. I a greedy (can get me killed), here's what I did.

I chose to advance my units in Southern Russia as follows:

Operational:
From Kharkov I made a mass infantry push into Kursk and sent the armor with a few infantry into Don River (assault).

From Kransnodar the two blocks moved into South Steppes and Batumi.

There were several small moves that shuffled blocks forward to the front.

Strategic Moves:
Most were used to move several units, including a GSU into the South Steppes. However, the key move was an Italian strat move of an armor into South Steppes.

Initial Combat:
Don River cleared by the assault

Breakthrough Movements:
#1 Tula - Where you see the 6 block Russian Army and the field fortification.
Just about all of the German units from Kursk, and Luki moved in. A majority of the armor from Don River joined the fight.

The objectives were 3. First to put the Smolensk army OOS. Second, to take out the 2nd largest Russian army on the map and 3rd to get Russia to burn its SA.

I was guessing that the Russians might burn the SA to retreat, and was right. 2/3 objectives complete...

#2 My prime target - Southern Russia.
I played the SA in Grozny and moved every unit within reach including 2 GSU's (assault). An easy victory.

#3 My Best Move?
I used the Italian SA to move into the empty Baku!

#4 Stalingrad
All of the units that took Grozny, save 1 block, took Stalingrad in another easy assault.

When it was over the map looked like this:

No comments: