Friday, March 9, 2007

1942 Nov/Dec Axis Move - Allied Move

Mud

Axis Turn

I actually like Mud. It gives me a chance to relax and play defense. It stops what could be the beginning of the Russian counterattack. I figure unless I am pushing for a Major Victory, mud is my ally. That said, had snow hit, I may have tried to position myself for a knockout blow to Russia. But with mud, I elected to do one of my favorite things...

Set a defense and head to the southern zone.

We are playing with all of the 13.xx optionals so Africa is all clear weather. The order in which I did the following things is key. I don't think I would have figured this movement pattern out had I been been playing a face to face game. Given a day to think about it...

Key Opp Moves
I moved a unit from southern Russia into N. Iraq.

Left a rear-guard in Voronezh and fortified my southern weak points (never too early to plan a supply line defence).

Moved the entire Italian army in Africa into El Alamein - even though I knew he was up to something, I didn't think he saw my moves coming...

Moved 2 GSUs from Stalingrad to Persia

Key Strat Moves
Moved 7 German units, including 2 elite armor and a GSU, into N. Iraq.


SA #1
Breakthrough to Tran Jordan (3 German Armor and 1 GSU)

SA#2
Strat Move allotment - Everything else in Persia and N Iraq to Trans Jordan.

SA#3
Italian attack in Alexandria (normal) - I knew he had mostly armor.

SA#4
German attack into Trans Jordan - cleared the space but took 4 armor hits. He rolled 50% hits!!!

I know I'm taking the risk that I can get my armor in and out before the Russians start advancing. It's a calculated risk. Two good assaults next turn and I should be done...

Allied Reaction, er Turn

Russia immediately moved into the vacated Voronezh and crushed my rear-guard. Otherwise they were content to add some blocks to the weak points.

The Us and Britain used their SA to buy unlimited replacements in Africa (damn - not going easy :)). A fleet was moved into the Med so the they have a 1 fleet advantage. The US opp/strat moved 4 blocks across fron Sicily. I am guessing 3 infantry and one armor..

The Map at Turns End







Enough to make you dizzy..

No comments: